A true partnership at Ealing
Serco has been providing ICT and consulting services to London Borough of Ealing since 1998. Recently Ealing engaged Serco to design, implement and support a new LAN infrastructure in the Council's central site, Perceval House. This involved building a new Data Centre in this building, providing a new high-speed, high-availability, secure network and migrating all the Council applications to this new Data Centre.
To improve the communications and to provide better services to the citizens of Ealing the Council then engaged Serco to design, implement and support a Council wide WAN infrastructure that securely connected all their sites in Ealing to their Data Centre in Perceval House. This included connecting six main sites, thirty medium sized sites and a number of small Council Offices to the Data Centre.
The outcome was a LAN and WAN solution that was modular, with a phased roll-out plan involving the Council in every stage, and with zero downtime during the migration to the new network.
The benefits to the Council include:
- A resilient, high-availability, high-capacity modern, fully integrated LAN and WAN network infrastructure covering all the Ealing sites to serve its Citizens.
- The infrastructure has a modular design so that any disruption or outages will be contained locally without affecting any other parts of the network.
- The modular design also means that the networks is flexible and will accommodate any future changes of site locations, moves of departments or users within the sites and secure connectivity to partners, other Councils and government departments.
- The LAN and WAN network is multi-media over IP enabled with Quality of Service and will allow VoIP Telephony, Video Conferencing, IP-CCTV and other multi-media to be carried over this network.
- Was "designed for support", which means all the support functionality has been fully integrated in to the solution right from the beginning.